Monday, July 26, 2010

Word Walls in Mathematics

Mathematics is filled with confusing vocabulary! For example, the word median is used with statistical measures (the middle term in a set of data that is in order numerically) and in geometry (the median of a triangle is the line segment from one vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side). Ask students to find the difference and you might want them to subtract two numbers or you might be asking them to tell you how the numbers differ - odd vs even, prime vs composite. Begin a geometry unit and you have new vocabulary coming at the students fast and furious. So, how can we help our students master the vocabulary as quickly as possible. First, as I mentioned in my previous post, use the vocabulary correctly and use it often. Second, try putting a word wall up in your classroom. There are many ways to design a word wall. You might want to start with the vocabulary word, followed by the definition, followed by a visual. You might want to incorporate the visual within the word. Examples of this can be found at The Broward County Public Schools - Exceptional Student Education page. You will need to scroll down to they yellow link - Mathematic Word Wall. You will need Adobe Reader to view the document. I would suggest that when you begin the school year you have a word wall started. As the year progresses have the students take charge of the word wall. The possibilites are endless - be creative and have fun with it!

4 comments:

  1. Jeannie~
    Great post~I teach resource room reading and math, and I have always felt that my math students struggle because they don't understand the vocabulary. I make a conscious effort to make a math word wall with definitions like mode, median, mean, coin values, and weights and measures. Not only do kids start learning the vocabulary, they become more independent in my room of varying abilities. Thanks again as I love getting wonderful ideas from a trained math teacher~ Kacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an outstanding post and resource provided. I showed my wife, who teaches third grade and she is very excited to use this in her classroom. I have never seen a word wall like that, but I am looking forward to trying the same thing in some of my content areas. Thanks for a great post and resource.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I've been using a word wall in my classroom for years now and I'm excited to add the visual element that they displayed. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled that each of you have been able to gain something from my blog. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete