Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Beauty of Mathematics


When trying to intrigue my students about mathematics, I take time to discuss both the beauty and the importance of mathematics. Every year I try to find time to discuss fractals and show them math in nature. The Fibonacci Sequence is always a favorite of the students. They are always amazed at how many places this sequence shows up! It really doesn't take long to show the students a few things or have a class discussion. If you can show YouTube videos in your school, take a few minutes to search the archives - there are some great videos out there. If YouTube is blocked at your school, don't abandon the cause. I myself plan to open the school year with this poster that I made.

4 comments:

  1. Yes -- Math is Beautiful! I have a BS in math,, so I am biased. I even admit to buying a video called, "Mathematics for Lovers". http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Lovers-Mandelbrot-Sets-Julia/dp/B000DZKLE2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poster! I am loving the amount of knowledge that I am gaining by reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I had no idea what the Fibonacci Sequence once, but after viewing your link realized how frequent it really does show up in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit.
    דירה דיסקרטית במרכז

    ReplyDelete