Friday, July 9, 2010

Create Excitement for Mathematics on Day One

I know it is the middle of the summer, but it is never too early to begin planning for the new school year. One of the things I try to do each year on day one is "hook" the students and show them the beauty and power that mathematics possesses. I teach high school math (all levels - remedial to AP) and am always amazed at how easy it is to build excitement for math and empower my students at the same time. One of the first things I show them is how to multiply a double digit number by 11 in their head. For example, 54 X 11. I tell them to take the 5 and 4 and split apart ( 5 __ 4 ), to find the number that goes in the middle they need to add the 5 and 4. So, 54 X 11 is 594. What if you get a double digit number when you add the two digits? A carry is produced. For example, 67 X 11. Split the 6 and 7 ( 6 __ 7 ), add 6 + 7, this gives you 13. The three goes on the line and the one is the carry over to the 6. So 67 X 11 is 737. My students of all levels find this amazing! However, please take the time to show them why this works! There are many math tricks that can be used. Finally, I end my class by telling the students that they are in control of the numbers and they should not let the numbers control them!

5 comments:

  1. Jeannie~
    I absolutely love the idea of your blog. I can see how your excitement about math must be contagious with your students! Since I teach resource room math, I am excited to learn some tricks to empower my students. Can't wait for the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeannie, I struggled in math as a kid and it too a really organized high school math teacher to help me gain the confidence I needed to move on. Now I teach math and take the same approach as you do. Little cool tricks to engage and make life easier. I just learned something new from your blog and will definitely be following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie, being a student that often found math to be difficult, I love your approach to engage students interest. The concept you discussed in your post takes a normally difficult math problem and uses basic addition to find a solution. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kacey, Molly, and Chris for your enthusiastic responses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks jane for this Inspiration. Follow me get more details on how to write a good proposal and win the project.
    Just Click Here

    ReplyDelete